Photos of charming Ljubljana (Slovenia)
Ljulbjana is one of the prettiest, most charming capitals in Europe. It is laid back (you could say sleepy), clean, and somehow feels like somewhere out of a fairy tale with its colourful squares, unusual bridges (including a Dragon bridge), weird statues, and a river which reminded me of a mini version of the Seine in Paris. With green parks and citizens riding around on bikes, it is unlike any place we have been – and definitely different than any other place we’ve travelled to in the Balkans. This post covers the highlights of a visit to the charming city of Ljubljana.
We stayed for two full days, enjoying the cafes and restaurants along the river, taking the funicular up to the castle, and just exploring the markets and streets.
I won’t tell you that you should spend a week here. It’s a small city. 2 days will do. I also won’t tell you that there are ‘wow’-value highlights in Ljubljana. There is no one ‘must see’ sight’. But put together all of it’s attributes and Ljubljana is a very pleasant place to visit. We really enjoyed the city.
– We took the train from Zagreb which took approx 2 ½ hours. In Ljubljana the train and bus station are right next to each other, making bus/train connections easy.
– Had a great restaurant experience at Tabar: Tapas and Slovenian wines.
– Tours worth taking. This 2.5 hour Walking tour of Ljubljana (which includes the castle).
– Car. If you’re thinking of renting a car (and there’s lots of places to see like Lake Bled, Postojna Cave and Predjama castle) then I recommend you use our Rentalcars.com link.
– Flying in. Ljubljana Airport (officially Jože Pučnik Airport. Airport code: LJU) is located 24 km from Ljubljana.
Related: Our Guide to Slovenia
PS. Looking to book flights, hotels, tours, or rent a car? Have a look at our Travel Resources page.